Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My favorite things

I am sure all you have seen the movie "Sound of music." I have seen it too, and to this day I have not yet recovered from the scars it inflicted upon my psyche. Those terrible terrible wounds will perhaps never heal...

And yet, the only part of the movie I liked is the song "My favorite things." Over the years there have been a TON of covers/tributes/interpretations/reinterpretations of that song by high profile entertainers and two cent schmucks. Like your annoying hipster neighbor looking for the right time to release his thereminized version of the song.

What I am about to show you, though, is absolutely breathtaking. This version is by the Jazz ubermench John Coltrane. Coltrane brings an amazing tenderness  to the song, taking his time meandering and brooding over the oh-so-sweet melodies.

2 comments:

  1. I. Fucking. Love. The. Sound. Of. Music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool piece! Only wish the video did not distort the sound qualities of the higher-registered soprano sax & flute so much. Didn't you were into jazz too =)

    ReplyDelete