Monday, December 3, 2012

Poem of the week - "I heard a fly buzz when I died" by Dickinson

Emily Dickinson, much revered today, was considered an oddball back in her time. She wrote without much care for such niceties as punctuation, capitalization and rhyming scheme. She was a very prolific poet, but only a mere handful of her poems were published during her lifetime. After her death the poetry world was blessed with the discovery of a trove of her unpublished work, nearly couple thousand poems.

Here's one of her most famous works. I love the sombre tone and the morbid nature of it.

I heard a fly buzz when I died;
The stillness round my form
Was like the stillness in the air
Between the heaves of storm.
The eyes beside had wrung them dry,
And breaths were gathering sure
For that last onset, when the king
Be witnessed in his power.
I willed my keepsakes, signed away
What portion of me I
Could make assignable,-and then
There interposed a fly,
With blue, uncertain, stumbling buzz,
Between the light and me;
And then the windows failed, and then
I could not see to see.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I just wanted to remark the fact that you actually managed to customize a very nice looking site. Will you be so nice and provide an answer to my question. Do you participate in any competitions that involve bloggers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi thanks for your comment. the design for the blog was done by one of the co-contributors, but she has now moved on to bigger things and doesn't write here anymore. i have never participated in competitions, though. what kind of competitions are you referring to?

    ReplyDelete